Backpacking around the world can be safe, and you can have an amazing adventure and return home safe and sound, if you have the right knowledge and take the right precautions.
Tips for a safe backpacking travel
With these top 10 tips, you can minimise the risk of anything happening to you and be assured that you will have a safe trip and enjoy your travels.
- Make sure all your vaccinations and travel insurance are in place and up to date.
- Keep a copy of all your important documents and passport separate from the originals, so that you always have a copy if anything does get lost or stolen. The easiest way now is to scan them and email them to yourself or keep them on a cloud drive. That way they can be accessed at any time, anywhere.
- Research the places you are going to. Have a good working knowledge of the culture, the places, the scams, forewarned really is forearmed.
- Use your common sense. This is essential here so I’ll repeat it again. Use your common sense! It really can be that simple. Don’t get so drunk you have no control over what happens to you, don’t go down a dark alley alone at night, don’t accept that lift off a bunch of complete strangers, be mindful of local scams when strangers approach you to talk and listen to those gut feelings. You use your common sense all the time at home, so why would it be any different when you are travelling?
- Keep an eye on your stuff. I know you are in a new and exciting place and it is all too easy to get distracted and leave your bag/laptop/camera unattended for a second while you grab another drink or gaze at some new and wonderful sight, but just get into the habit of being aware of your surroundings and your stuff.